Skip to main content

How can I install and use Darknet framework in Windows?


Another post starts with you beautiful people! I hope you have enjoyed my last post about using real time object detection system- Yolo with keras api. In that post I mentioned that Yolo is built on Darknet framework and this framework is written on C and cuda. That's why we used Python wrapper of Darknet  framework instead of installing original framework. Many readers asked me about how can we install and use the original framework in our window machine. In this post I will try to show you the steps about this installation. Before following the steps I strongly recommend you to activate virtual env and install all libraries I have mentioned in my last post.

For this setup I have followed this original github repository- AlexeyAB/darknet . this repo is as same as original Darknet repo with additional Windows support. So don't forget to give a star to this repo as a token of our respect to the author. If you are reading my blog first time, then I recommend to read the Requirements section mentioned in this repo first.

Once your machine is ready with all requirements, next step is to install a compilation software- vcpkg which you can download from this link. Once you download the zip file, extract it, open command prompt with admin rights, navigate to the extracted vcpkg-master folder and run the following command-

Once the above command finishes, run the below command in same prompt-

Next, we need to add vcpkg root path in our environment variable. So open the system variable and add the location of the vcpkg-master folder under the name of VCPKG_ROOT like below-

Along with this new variable, add another variable VCPKG_DEFAULT_TRIPLET with following value-


Now we are ready for installing Darknet with this compilation software. Open Anaconda Poweshell Prompt with admin rights, navigate to the vcpkg-master folder by running following command:
cd $env:VCPKG_ROOT
After this run the following command:
.\vcpkg install pthreads opencv[ffmpeg]
Once you run above two commands, screen will look like below-

It will take some time to complete. Once this process is completed next step is to download the code from AlexeyAB/darknet. Once you downlaod the zip file from this repo, extract it and in the Anaconda Powershell Prompt navigate to the location of the darknet folder and run .\build.ps1 like below-

This command will install darknet repository once finishes. After this run following command:
Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy Restricted and then when asked press A to exclude any restriction. Once this is done, you can navigate to the installed repository in your respective folder and see all installed files there. Now you need to copy the pretrained Yolo weights file in this location. You can download the weights from this link. After this we are ready to test the original YOLO system built on Darknet framework on our image.

To test any image you need to run following command in same Anaconda Powershell Prompt-
.\darknet.exe detector test cfg/coco.data cfg/yolov3.cfg yolov3.weights -thresh 0.25

Once this command finishes , it will ask you to enter the path of your test image. enter the full path and press enter-

Once you enter the image path and press enter, your input image will be opened in default photo viewer having bounding boxes and label. Also in server console accuracy of the prediction will be shown with each detected object-

That's amazing right. In this post we have successfully installed Darknet framework in our Windows machine and in my last post we have successfully setup the Python wrapper of Darknet. Now you are familiar with both ways. If you are working with a client who has Windows infrastructure like mine then this post will help you to deliver state of the art object detection model built on Yolo system. I recommend you to give some time to learn this framework and get your hands dirty by practicing it on different image dataset many times. In my next post I will share another my learnings. Till then Go chase your dreams, have an awesome day, make every second count and see you later in my next post.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to install and compile YOLO v4 with GPU enable settings in Windows 10?

Another post starts with you beautiful people! Last year I had shared a post about  installing and compiling Darknet YOLOv3   in your Windows machine and also how to detect an object using  YOLOv3 with Keras . This year on April' 2020 the fourth generation of YOLO has arrived and since then I was curious to use this as soon as possible. Due to my project (built on YOLOv3 :)) work I could not find a chance to check this latest release. Today I got some relief and successfully able to install and compile YOLOv4 in my machine. In this post I am going to share a single shot way to do the same in your Windows 10 machine. If your machine does not have GPU then you can follow my  previous post  by just replacing YOLOv3 related files with YOLOv4 files. For GPU having Windows machine, follow my steps to avoid any issue while building the Darknet repository. My machine has following configurations: Windows 10 64 bit Intel Core i7 16 GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Version 445.87

How to convert your YOLOv4 weights to TensorFlow 2.2.0?

Another post starts with you beautiful people! Thank you all for your overwhelming response in my last two posts about the YOLOv4. It is quite clear that my beloved aspiring data scientists are very much curious to learn state of the art computer vision technique but they were not able to achieve that due to the lack of proper guidance. Now they have learnt exact steps to use a state of the art object detection and recognition technique from my last two posts. If you are new to my blog and want to use YOLOv4 in your project then please follow below two links- How to install and compile Darknet code with GPU? How to train your custom data with YOLOv4? In my  last post we have trained our custom dataset to identify eight types of Indian classical dance forms. After the model training we have got the YOLOv4 specific weights file as 'yolo-obj_final.weights'. This YOLOv4 specific weight file cannot be used directly to either with OpenCV or with TensorFlow currently becau

How to use opencv-python with Darknet's YOLOv4?

Another post starts with you beautiful people 😊 Thank you all for messaging me your doubts about Darknet's YOLOv4. I am very happy to see in a very short amount of time my lovely aspiring data scientists have learned a state of the art object detection and recognition technique. If you are new to my blog and to computer vision then please check my following blog posts one by one- Setup Darknet's YOLOv4 Train custom dataset with YOLOv4 Create production-ready API of YOLOv4 model Create a web app for your YOLOv4 model Since now we have learned to use YOLOv4 built on Darknet's framework. In this post, I am going to share with you how can you use your trained YOLOv4 model with another awesome computer vision and machine learning software library-  OpenCV  and of course with Python 🐍. Yes, the Python wrapper of OpenCV library has just released it's latest version with support of YOLOv4 which you can install in your system using below command- pip install opencv-python --up