Skip to main content

Machine Learning:Naive Bayes Classifier


Another post starts with you beautiful people!
Continuing our Machine Learning track today we will apply the Naive Bayes Classifier but before that we need to understand the Bayes Theorem. So let’s first understand the Bayes Theorem.

Bayes Theorem works on conditional probability. Conditional probability is the probability that something will happen, given that something else has already occurred. Using the conditional probability, we can calculate the probability of an event using its prior knowledge.
Below is the formula for calculating the conditional probability.
where
P(H) is the probability of hypothesis H being true. This is known as the prior probability.
P(E) is the probability of the evidence(regardless of the hypothesis).
P(E|H) is the probability of the evidence given that hypothesis is true.
P(H|E) is the probability of the hypothesis given that the evidence is there.

We can understand the above concept with a classic example of coin that I summarized as below picture-


Now understand the Naive Bayes Classifier in the following easiest way-

So you must be thinking in real world where we can apply this algo to solve a problem?
The answer is Email Classification ! To filter the Spam vs Ham.
Sound interesting right! let's start hands on to solve this email classification problem and build our model. Our goal is to train a Naive Bayes model to classify future SMS messages as either spam or ham.
We will follow below steps to achieve our goal-

  1. Convert the words ham and spam to a binary indicator variable(0/1)
  2. Convert the txt to a sparse matrix of TFIDF vectors
  3. Fit a Naive Bayes Classifier
  4. Measure your success using roc_auc_score
Importing required libraries-


I request you to please go through official document [sklearn.naive_bayes] of each library and read once.

Load our spam dataset-
Train the classifier if it is spam or ham based on the text:-

Convert the spam and ham to 1 and 0 values respectively for probability testing:-

Do some cleaning:-

Split the data into test and train:-


Check for null values in spam:-

Let's predict our model:-

Check our model accuracy:-

Looks great! with this model the success rate is 98.61%.
I hope with this real world example you can understand how easy is to apply Naive Bayes Classifier.

Meanwhile Friends! Go chase your dreams, have an awesome day, make every second count and see you later in my next post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to install and compile YOLO v4 with GPU enable settings in Windows 10?

Another post starts with you beautiful people! Last year I had shared a post about  installing and compiling Darknet YOLOv3   in your Windows machine and also how to detect an object using  YOLOv3 with Keras . This year on April' 2020 the fourth generation of YOLO has arrived and since then I was curious to use this as soon as possible. Due to my project (built on YOLOv3 :)) work I could not find a chance to check this latest release. Today I got some relief and successfully able to install and compile YOLOv4 in my machine. In this post I am going to share a single shot way to do the same in your Windows 10 machine. If your machine does not have GPU then you can follow my  previous post  by just replacing YOLOv3 related files with YOLOv4 files. For GPU having Windows machine, follow my steps to avoid any issue while building the Darknet repository. My machine has following configurations: Windows 10 64 bit Intel Core i7 16 GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce G...

How can I make a simple ChatBot?

Another post starts with you beautiful people! It has been a long time of posting a new post. But my friends in this period I was not sitting  where I got a chance to work with chatbot and classification related machine learning problem. So in this post I am going to share all about chatbot- from where I have learned? What I have learned? And how can you build your first bot? Quite interesting right! Chatbot is a program that can conduct an intelligent conversation based on user's input. Since chatbot is a new thing to me also, I first searched- is there any Python library available to start with this? And like always Python has helped me this time also. There is a Python library available with name as  ChatterBot   which is nothing but a machine learning conversational dialog engine. And yes that is all I want to start my learning because I always prefer inbuilt Python library to start my learning journey and once I learn this then only I move ahead for another...

Generative AI: Faster fine-tuning of a Mistral Model with less memory

  Another blog post starts with you beautiful people💥. I hope you have started your Generative AI learning from my  last post  and if you have not, then I recommend you read that one before proceeding to this blog.  In this post, we will delve into the transformative power of generative AI, specifically exploring the cutting-edge Mistral 7B model fine-tuning🚀. This revolutionary technology has not only redefined the boundaries of artificial intelligence but also sparked a paradigm shift in how we approach data generation and creativity. Join me on a journey through the fascinating intersection of machine learning and creativity, where Mistral 7B stands as a beacon of innovation, pushing the boundaries of what's possible in the realm of generative AI👈. Fine-tuning a large language model(LLM) refers to the process of training the model on a specific, smaller dataset to adapt it to a particular task or domain. Large language models, like ChatGPT, are pre-trained on ...